Midfielder agrees to join Chelsea ahead of Spurs
The BBC reports that Chelsea made a move for the 25-year-old Brazilian on Thursday evening, after he had already completed a medical at Tottenham on Wednesday.
The Blues agreed personal terms with Willian within 24 hours and he is due to have a medical at Stamford Bridge before his work permit hearing next week, writes the website.
It is believed the transfer was made possible after billionaire Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, whose fellow Russian oilgarch Suleyman Kerimov owns Anzhi, intervened.
Willian was ready to join Spurs, but when Chelsea entered the equation, felt that the chance to play Champions league football was too good an opportunity to pass up.
The Brazilian is now set to become the Blues third major summer signing following the arrival of Germany forward Andre Schurrle and Netherlands midfielder Marco van Ginkel.
Willian joined Russian side Anzhi Makhackala in January this year for a reported £30miilion after spending five and a half years at Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk.
However the Russian side transfer listed their entire team as owner Suleyman Kerimov decided he does not want to bankroll the club’s big spending any more.
Speaking about the Brazilian midfielder Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said, “We always want something of more quality and we never close the door to the possibility of adding more quality.”
The midfielder’s arrival at Stamford Bridge would further strengthen a squad brimming with attacking midfielders such as Eden Hazard, Oscar, Kevin de Bruyne and Andre Schurrle.
One such midfielder Mourinho insisted is going nowhere, despite speculation of a departure, is Juan Mata.
He said, “We want to add quality. Juan is not a player we want to lose.”